It’s a new week in fashion and Kingstonstyle has your fashion news on the wire. Every week we bring you the Weekly Style, giving you the latest in fashion and style news from around the globe and from style savvy Jamaicans at home and abroad. This week on Weekly Style:
– One of Jamaica’s most intriguing fashion characters, model and musician Grace Jones, may soon have her life documented in a feature film. It’s rumored that a documentary on the iconic artist, backed by the BFI Film Fund, is in the works and will feature the artist’s famous public persona as well as intimate footage from her personal life.
– We were happy to discover this morning that two local fashion designers– Simone Michelle of Ms. Sim and Summer Jarrett of Kaj–have developed a new fashion event called Design Jamaica. The event taking place next month will feature young local designers like ASD by Ayanna Dixon, WETswim by Denyque, Yahdi Conscious and Vain Glory in addition to Michelle and Jarrett’s own collections.
– For you fashion tech startups out there – yes, we said fashion tech startups– you only have a couple more days to get that proposal and application in to the Start-Up Jamaica project. The project backed by The World Bank and the prestigious Oasis 500 group is promising financial backing and mentorship to a few lucky start up applicants. The deadline for application ends July 31st.
– Go support our friends over at New Caribbean Cinema on their Kingston Ring Di Alarm! premiere at Carib 5 on Wednesday August 13th. Post show hit up the after party at Dubwise.
– If you’re looking for that special piece for the holiday weekend go check out the Galavant Jewelry Trunk Show today at Kerry MWH from 1pm to 6pm. We know it’s short notice, but the simple and classy designs of Galavant are worth a quick gander.
– Keep your mind flexed with some poetry and you’ll discover new facets of your creativity. The Jamaica Poetry Festival is taking place next month and is featuring some of Jamaica’s super star poets like Dr. Sonjah Nyah, Yasus Afari and Jean “Binta” Breeze. Tickets are available at Bookophila, New Leaf, JCDC and Fontana Pharmacy for the August 10th event.